"Come In and Know Me Better, Man!"
I'm a creator and consultant with a passion for what I do. I cut my teeth in the broadcast TV industry, working effectively with hundreds of clients on over 3000 projects, often solo. I constantly push my limits, bringing my skills and values in full force to every project. Proud of my work, I love a good challenge. I work smart and keep it positive.
Years of Experience
West Virginia, USA
What I Do?
How I can help with your next project
I have been doing professional and freelance graphic design since before Photoshop CS! I studied art and multimedia design in college.
I first got into writing websites when a client agreed to pay me the cost of an online web design class in exchange for building them a website!
When building this website, I actually wrote a script that automatically codes the entire portfolio section for me so I don't have to!
You would be amazed how many business owners I've met who had no brand materials for their company. I enjoy building distinctive, unified brand identity packages and style guides.
I started in darkroom photography over 20 years ago and still have my Minolta X-500 35mm. What a great camera! These days I shoot a lot on my mirrorless GH5.
My career in television and commercial production taught me how to sell through digital marketing and how to coordinate and plan marketing campaigns and show schedules.
When I was a kid, I found a vintage "pistol-grip" Super-8 movie camera in a prop room. I used to carry it around pretending to make movies. Filming never stopped being fun!
I learned to run live sound in the theater FOH booth in middle school. Since then, I've engineered professionally in studios and large arenas, for broadcast TV and radio, and on film sets and commercial shoots.
"Make one point, and make it well." When I started making commercials, I learned to pare pages of copy down to a few effective words.
A Summary of My Resume
My Education / Awards / Activities
B.S. in Communications
West Virginia State University / 2006 - 2009
Cum Laude / Dean's List / Screenwriting Student of the Year Honorable Mention
Writing & Music
Houghton College, NY / 2006
Graduated w/ Honors
2 Merit Awards
Ohio Valley Regional Creative Writing Contest
Webmaster & Praise Team Leader - Volunteer at Bancroft Mission. Regular donor of production work to non-profits.
Registered Recreational Pilot
Limited Working Proficiency
Director of IT / Marketing
CLD / 2017 - Current
Fully rebranded the firm & developed marketing campaigns. Architected & executed migration to a state-of-the-art hyperconverged server infrastructure. Vastly improved cybersecurity posture through training & gap analysis. Moved entire staff to full remote work in only two days.
WOWK / 2014 - 2016
Engaged clients to develop goal-oriented, sales-enhancing marketing strategies. Strengthened business relationships & the station's reputation for high-quality, result-driven products. Produced television commercials.
WQCW / 2010 - 2014
Produced close to 1000 commercials & live events, including:
- South Charleston Christmas Parade BC & DVD
- South Charleston Memorial Day Parade BC & DVD
- Sounds of the Season BC & DVD (for 3 years)
Held every production position available at WCHS-TV8 ABC, FOX-11, and WSAZ-TV3.
Print Production / PDF Authoring 13+yrs
Web Design 13+yrs
Vector Illustration 18+yrs
Photography / Photo Editing 18+yrs
Animation / Motion Graphics18+yrs
Videography / Video Editing 18+yrs
Have any questions?
With Creative Commons you are free:
- To Share: copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- To Adapt: remix, transform, and build upon the material
Under these conditions:
- Attribution: You must give appropriate credit to Joshua Russell and Russell Creative Media, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial: The image must not be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances. For further clarity on what defines commercial use, please see the Sample Accepted Uses below.
- Share Alike ? If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- Blog Post describing a trip to Paris
- Online article discussing the growing popularity of HDR photography
- A website for a school project about the use of light in art
- An individual using an image as a desktop background for the computer monitor
Use the following link for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) License Summary.
Commercial Use regarding the use of images online or offline is defined very broadly. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on the contextual use of the image. The determination is NOT based on the tax-filing status of the entity using the image nor on whether or not a financial transaction takes place. Commercial use of our images is allowed only if expressly granted by Russell Creative Media. All commercial uses will incur a licensing fee. Our fees are based on the following criteria:
- Media, print, web, television, etc.
- Distribution Size - number of copies printed, viewing audience size, exposure (regional, national, international)
- Length of Use - 1 year, 2 years, etc.
- Prominence of Display - 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full page, spread, front cover, back cover, home page (online), interior page (online), etc.
Licensing inquiries should be submitted using the contact form below.
- A marketing campaign for a commercial entity
- A fundraising campaign for a not-for-profit entity
- A background image for a website about furniture
- License to create an individual print for use in a private home
Thanks to Trey at Stuck in Customs for the excellent Licensing copy.
Kind Words From Happy Clients
"Thank you so much! The photos are wonderful and I am so happy with them. I've passed them along to the Company girls and their parents and have gotten rave reviews! I really appreciate your hard work and creativity. Thank you for working with us!!"Lauren Brotsky Founder at The Macholah Ballet, Inc.
"It looks great. You are an awesome designer, I love the small touches such as the little burger 🍔 that says ask about our burgers. So super cool!"Krisene Stanley Manager/Co-Owner at Johnnies Fresh Meat Market
"Thanks soooo much for everything Josh! You have no idea how much this means to us for our ministry and how long I've been wanting to do this. You are a blessing!"Erika Kendrick Assistant Director, Operations at Hands of Love for Bolivia, Inc.
Let's get in touch
I enjoy discussing new projects and design challenges. Please share as much info as possible so we can get the most out of our first contact.